Sunday, December 26, 2010

Regency Gown #1

I hope everyone had a great Christmas weekend! We visited with family on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and in between I've been working on both Chris's coat and my Regency dress.

I'm using the same pattern I used last year, the Sense and Sensibility pattern. I don't love it, but I'm already familiar with it. As much as I didn't want to bother, I needed some pattern adjustments from last year's version (the bust was too short). I did a mockup out of lining fabric, since I don't have enough self fabric to recut if the pattern was wrong.

Ginger helps choose lining fabric.
Whew! Glad I did a mockup - I did need more corrections - the straps were falling off, it would have been a disaster! Lining/Mockup #2 is good, thank goodness!

I'm planning to do spiral lacing up the back, my first time trying it. (Why can't I keep anything simple?)
Here's my lacing inspiration, from the Kyoto Costume Institute:

And here's the fab how-to online resource I found for Spiral Lacing: The Zen of Spiral Lacing

I'm having Chris cut down some steel bones for me with the new Dremel tool he got for Christmas. Yay for new tools! Hopefully the dress will come together this week. Yay for short work weeks!

2 comments:

  1. Cool! Can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm hoping to start on mine next week if I get a chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting! Can't wait to see yours!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...