Thursday, March 8, 2012

SoCal Balboa Workshops

I'm supposed to be madly working on a Teen's dress for this Sunday's Lanterman Ragtime Tea Dance, but I wanted take a minute to highlight a couple Balboa events I'm involved with this month.

March 17th: Atomic Ballroom in Placentia, CA is hosting an Intermediate/Advanced Balboa Workshop. Augie Freeman is the instructor, and he's asked me to partner with him (cause I look better in heels than he does.) Augie is a classic SoCal Balboa dancer, and a fantastic teacher. Follow the link to get more info.

March 29th-April 1st: Balboa Rendezvous in San Diego and Balboa Peninsula - I believe this is the longest running Balboa event in Southern California (probably on the West Coast?). The weekend full of workshops, live music and contests features some of the great international instructors who call California home. Chris and I are part of this year's in-class teaching staff, so we'll be attending the classes, dancing with and giving feedback to the students (we'll be really nice, I promise!). In addition, this event brings together many of the great old-timers who danced in the SoCal ballrooms in the 30's and 40's - it's a real treat to listen to them reminisce about the dance. Registration is still open for a few more days, so head over to the website to check it out - if you have trouble with the website, post a message on the FB page and I'm sure someone will help you out.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely! At least for once I'd love to travel to the US for some outstanding bal events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! If you ever come out here, let me know and we can probably help with housing, etc. :) And go on a fabulous fabric shopping expedition to the LA Garment District.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...